Monday, March 8, 2010

Immersion Round Up #4: Investment Banking Immersion

Today's blog post comes from Trista Miller, a 1st year student in the Investment Banking Immersion!

Having worked only in the non-profit and public sectors in real estate and economic development, I’ve always loved my jobs. However, I have also been very cognizant that I could make a greater impact with a private sector skill set. I came to business school very eager to broaden my horizons, challenge my quantitative abilities, and acquire a skill set that would enable me to make a successful transition to the private sector. I had a strong desire to learn more about the financial services industry, but at the time had very little understanding of the financial markets, corporate finance, and investment banking.


I immediately began increasing my existing knowledge and interest in finance exponentially through attending the finance passport sessions (weekly workshops exploring careers in finance and regulatory reform of the financial services industry, as well as providing primers in macroeconomics and valuation) and attending regular meetings of Old Ezra Finance Club (run by 2nd year students who had recently completed summer internships in investment banking). I gained practical knowledge through listening to senior investment bankers walk us through recent deals during our “Week on Wall Street,” while the core curriculum provided me with a solid base in accounting and corporate finance. My classmates who had worked as asset managers, buy-side analysts, and bankers prior to business school were also excellent resources to me. I even had the opportunity to compete in the finals of the National IPO Challenge in Chicago, which was an incredibly fun and educational experience. Before I knew it, the recruiting process for summer internships in banking was in full swing. As I gained a much better understanding of what a career in investment banking might look like, I became inspired by the sheer excitement and magnitude of investment banking’s impact, the endless learning potential afforded by the job, and the exceptional level of intelligence, professionalism, and work ethic displayed by everyone I met. Johnson has an incredibly tight-knit and diverse alumni network on Wall Street, and I was blown away with the willingness of everyone from Associates to Managing Directors to share their candid experiences, insight, and advice with me.

I’m now halfway through the Investment Banking immersion, and loving every aspect of it – from the interesting cases we review each week in the practicum (led by Dr. Biloski, a practitioner who brings a wealth of knowledge and experience) to the extremely practical skills I’m gaining in my Valuation and Financial Modeling classes. I also recently became an officer of the Old Ezra Finance Club and am busy putting together next year’s schedule of events for first years.

While I’m still the same non-traditional MBA student I was when I came to Johnson six months ago, I’m surprised at the professional and academic strides I’ve made and the confidence I’ve gained during my time here. I’m proud of pursuing a concentration at Johnson that challenged me to the very core and thankful for the incredible amount of encouragement and academic preparation I’ve received from classmates, professors, and alums. I look forward to meeting you at Destination Johnson!

-Trista Miller
Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment