Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Immersion Round Up #1 - Strategic Marketing Immersion

To get us started, Alex Tsakeres, Class of 2011 gives us her insight into the Strategic Marketing Immersion ~


When I first started talking about applying to business school, people inevitably asked what I was going to “major” in. When I replied that I was planning to focus on marketing, I often got the response, “Do you really need an MBA for that?”

It’s an important question to consider, and one that felt especially important for me at the time. I had recently started a new role in marketing and felt as though my professional stars had finally aligned. Here was the function where I felt challenged creatively and strategically, where the overarching marketing decisions made would shape the direction of our business.

However, there was one tiny problem. I wasn’t making those overarching decisions. I wasn’t even in the room with the people who were making them. Furthermore, I didn’t have the critical thinking or analytical skills to figure out what we needed to do. Finally, I saw the direct impact these decisions were having on our organization. Some of them I agreed with, and some of them I didn’t. But the bottom line was that I didn’t have the hard skills to develop and evaluate those decisions myself. That was when I knew I needed an MBA.

Fast forward to this semester, and I am in the midst of the Strategic Brand Immersion here at the Johnson School. I knew I had made the right decision from day one, when Professor Thomas proclaimed, “Whoever thinks that marketing is a non-quantitative immersion, think again.” In the depths of market share, break-even analysis, Nielsen data, and pages and pages of marketing cases, I have finally started to see personal progress in analyzing data to make informed decisions. The Immersion focuses on critical thinking and problem solving primarily through case analysis and intense class discussion. While fast paced and highly quantitative, I can’t imagine a better way to build the skills I will need in both my summer internship and eventually my career. Looking back, the decision whether or not to pursue a MBA for a marketing career was a tough one. Given my experience in the Strategic Brand immersion, I can’t imagine it any other way.

-Alex Tsakeres
Class of 2011

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sharing. Very informative and u clarified many some interesting points. I am also considering which program I should take.

    What kind of background or experience do you think the students would better have to make them more suitable for this immersion?

    Li

    ReplyDelete
  2. Li - thanks for writing. The Immersion is structured to educate students from a variety of backgrounds. This year, we have individuals who are scientists and engineers and those who have worked in healthcare, hospitality, human resources, among others. In short, the Immersion is designed for career switchers, and Professor Manoj Thomas does an excellent job of assessing the current marketing knowledge of the class and adjusting the curriculum accordingly. In short, you don't need to be from any particular background. What's most important is a passion for marketing and from an admissions standpoint, a compelling story as to why that is what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete