Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflections

A note from Hannah Dupes, Class of 2011 and Student Council Chair she reflects on the past year.

Hi All!

My name is Hannah Dupes, and as Chair of our Student Council, I wanted to wish you all CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance to Johnson!!! We can’t wait to meet you at Destination Johnson this spring. It’s an event that promises a chance to see all that Cornell and JGSM have to offer, but more importantly- it’s a chance for you to meet each other and begin the friendships that will last long after your two years in Ithaca!

It is hard to imagine that a year has gone by since I was in your shoes and trying to make a decision that at the time seemed incredibly complicated. I spent many nights discussing my options with family, co-workers and friends, all of whom had differing opinions. The best piece of advice that I received was this: Business School is as much about personal development as it is professional skills and regardless of where you decide to go, you will come out of these two years a different and better person. The choice needs to be made on what type of environment will best enable you to grow… and for me that choice was Cornell.

You’ll hear us talk a lot about community- and DJ is the beginning of that. I decided where I was going to live and who I was going to live with. I met a group of people that have remained some of my closest friends, and more importantly, I realized how amazing all of my peers were and how much I was going to learn from them in the coming years. I am proud of the fact that I know my entire class by name and most of the second years as well- but more than that, I know what they did before school and what they hope to do afterward. Because of these relationships, and our amazing alumni, I have my dream internship this summer. My classmates helped me prepare, the alumni helped me understand the corporate culture and what it took to succeed in the interview process, and I know that I will do the same for those students who need me down the road. That’s just how things work around here.

As I think back to the highlights of my experience here this far, DJ is the first in a long list of memorable things that have made me 100% confident in my decision to attend Johnson. I look forward to meeting each of you in the next few months, and am thrilled to have you as part of our community.

Congrats again,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment